Thursday, March 22, 2012

Potato Pot

I was in the store yesterday and saw this new product called the Multi Harvest Tater Pot. It's a double planting pot with the inner one having 4 'windows' cut out of it's sides. The idea is when nestled, fill the pot with planting medium (provided), add seed potatoes (also provided) and as the plants grow you can simply lift out the inner pot and harvest your potatoes through the 'windows'. It says that the plant will continue to produce potatoes for you to come back and harvest over and over 


I find this fascinating! I wanted to plant potatoes in our garden but we have a very limited area, if this can really work I'm all in, LOL.  

So after looking it over in the store I came home and searched the web for more information or testimonials. I found nothing other than other folks posting questions about it and the patent application dated Oct 2011. So this product really is super new to the market. 
I returned to the store today and bought one to try out. It was only 12.99 which included the double pot, two bags of planting medium and 3 seed potatoes (white, red, gold). Not terribly expensive but if it works and I decided I want multiple pots it can add up so... 
While in the store, I looked it over and decided that maybe I could make a few of these myself for less. I purchased 2 - 8in plastic pots for 2.30 each. (note the original kit has 10in pots)  I'm thinking our little Dremel will make short work of cutting windows and such. A bag of potting soil is about $3 and a bag of seed potatoes was around $5... so at these prices, I'm back up to the $12-13 price range that the kit cost. I didn't buy the soil or potatoes because I already have a bag of soil and some aging potatoes already sprouting in my pantry :) 


My plan is to plant both sets at the same time and see how they compare with growth, ease of harvest and longevity of the plants. 

6 comments:

  1. So....what happened with this experiment? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did it work? Did you make your own version? inquiring minds need to know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. any luck with this and your home made variety? i just got this taterpot setup myself earlier at walmart and gonna see what happens but am pretty sure ill be grabbing some pots that fit into each other in the same manner and making my own as i can never find enough uses and excuses to pull out my dremel :-) so what happened and was it worth it in your opinion? i also believe the growing medium is just peatmoss but dont qoute me on that

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's peat moss. I grew them during the winter (it was warm here), and it worked well. I bought more seed potatoes and I started it back a couple of weeks ago. It just takes a LOT of water, since there is no ground moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allo ou on peut ce procurer ce pot pour patate...

    ReplyDelete